If the area around your hot tub is slippery and you keep falling, then most likely you don’t have matting or have a useless matting. Matting for hot tubs is quite crucial. Quality matting can help you avoid slip hazards, reduce the growth of unnecessary algae and bacteria, and increase the aesthetic appeal of your hot tub.
There are tons of matting brands out there and every single one of them claims to be the best! To help you out, I have listed 5 brands for matting for hot tubs that I have used, features to look for, buying guides, and maintenance tips in this piece.
Top 5 Matting Brands for Hot Tubs
When selecting the perfect matting for your hot tub, the choices can be overwhelming. To simplify your decision, we’ve curated a list of the top 5 matting options, each offering unique benefits to enhance your hot tub experience. Here’s a breakdown of the best picks:
1. Gorilla Grip Original Patented Bath, Shower, Tub Mat
The Gorilla Grip Original Mat is a powerhouse in the world of hot tub safety. Boasting an impressive array of suction cups, this mat clings firmly to your tub’s surface, offering a reliable, slip-resistant experience. It’s a must-have for anyone looking to combine safety with ease of use.
Key Features: 324 suction cups, antibacterial, mildew-resistant, machine-washable.
Why Pick This Brand: Gorilla Grip is synonymous with strength and reliability. Their focus on creating durable and safe bath products makes them a go-to brand for many homeowners.
Pro Tip: Regularly clean the mat in the washing machine to maintain its grip and hygiene.
Pros and Cons:
|Exceptional grip and safety
|May cover drain if not properly sized
|Easy to clean
|Antibacterial and mildew-resistant
2. Vive Shower Mat
The Vive Shower Mat brings a blend of comfort and security to your hot tub experience. Its large, square design ensures maximum coverage, while the strong suction cups provide a secure, non-slip surface. Ideal for those who value both safety and comfort.
Key Features: Strong suction cup grip, antibacterial, latex-free.
Why Pick This Brand: Vive is known for its commitment to comfort and safety in bathroom accessories, making its products a reliable choice.
Pro Tip: Use the mat on a smooth surface for optimal grip.
Pros and Cons:
|Large size for better coverage
|May not fit in smaller tubs
|Safe for sensitive skin
3. Yimobra Original Bath Tub and Shower Mat
The Yimobra Original Mat stands out with its unique design and extensive coverage. This mat is a fusion of style and functionality, featuring a plethora of suction cups for a firm grip and made from BPA-free material for a safer bathing experience.
Key Features: Large size, unique design, BPA-free.
Why Pick This Brand: Yimobra is acclaimed for its innovative designs in bath safety, offering products that are both stylish and functional.
Pro Tip: Ensure the tub surface is clean before placing the mat to enhance its suction capability.
Pros and Cons:
|Might require trimming for a perfect fit
|Strong suction grip
4. Sierra Concepts 2-Pack Bath, Shower, Tub Mat
Double the safety with Sierra Concepts 2-Pack Mats. These mats not only provide a secure, slip-resistant surface but also come in a variety of colors to match your style. They’re perfect for those who want both safety and aesthetic appeal in their hot tub area.
Key Features: Two mats in a pack, multiple color options, strong suction cups.
Why Pick This Brand: Sierra Concepts focuses on providing value and variety in their bath products, making them a popular choice for families.
Pro Tip: Alternate between the two mats to allow proper drying and maintain hygiene.
Pros and Cons:
|Great value with two mats
|Individual mats may be smaller than expected
|Variety of colors
5. Mantto Nonslip Bath Mat
The Mantto Nonslip Bath Mat is a testament to modern bath safety. Crafted from eco-friendly TPE material, this mat offers a textured surface for enhanced grip. It’s an excellent choice for eco-conscious individuals seeking a safe and sustainable option.
Key Features: Textured surface, eco-friendly TPE material, various colors.
Why Pick This Brand: Mantto is dedicated to combining safety with environmental responsibility, making its products ideal for the eco-aware consumer.
Pro Tip: Clean the mat regularly to maintain its texture and grip.
Pros and Cons:
|The texture might feel different underfoot
|Durable and easy to clean
|Available in various colors
Key Features to Look for in Hot Tub Matting
When it comes to selecting the right matting for your hot tub, there are several key features you should consider to ensure you make the best choice for your needs. Here’s a detailed look at what to keep in mind:
1. Material Quality
The material of the mat determines its durability, comfort, and safety. Rubber mats are praised for their longevity and slip-resistance, foam mats offer superior comfort, and plastic or recycled materials provide an eco-friendly option.
Pro Tip: Look for UV-resistant materials if your hot tub is outdoors to ensure the mat doesn’t degrade in the sun.
2. Safety and Slip-Resistance
The primary function of a hot tub mat is to prevent slips and falls. A mat with a high grip surface is essential, especially when wet.
Pro Tip: Check for mats with a textured surface or anti-slip properties, especially if you have children or elderly individuals using the hot tub.
3. Comfort and Cushioning
Comfort is key, especially when you step out of the hot tub. A mat that feels good underfoot enhances the overall experience.
Pro Tip: Foam mats are great for comfort but ensure they have adequate drainage to avoid becoming waterlogged.
4. Ease of Cleaning and Maintenance
Why It Matters: Hot tub mats should be easy to clean and maintain to ensure hygiene and longevity.
Pro Tip: Look for mats that are mold and mildew-resistant and can be easily hosed down or wiped clean.
5. Aesthetics and Design
The look of your mat can complement the overall design of your hot tub area. It’s not just a safety feature but also a part of your outdoor decor.
Pro Tip: Consider the color and pattern of the mat and how it matches your hot tub and surrounding area.
6. Size and Customizability
The size of the mat should adequately cover the area around your hot tub. Some mats offer interlocking pieces for customizable sizing.
Pro Tip: Measure your space before purchasing and consider if you need a mat that can be cut or adjusted to fit.
7. Price and Value for Money
You want to invest in a mat that offers the best value for your money, balancing quality and cost.
Pro Tip: Don’t automatically go for the cheapest option. Consider the longevity and features of the mat against its price.
Hot Tub Matting Buying Guide
Making the right choice when purchasing matting for your hot tub can be a game-changer in terms of safety, comfort, and overall enjoyment. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you navigate the buying process:
Step 1: Assess Your Needs
- Consider the Usage: Think about who will be using the hot tub and their specific needs. Families with children or elderly users might prioritize safety and slip resistance more.
- Evaluate the Environment: Is your hot tub indoors or outdoors? Outdoor mats need to be weather-resistant and possibly UV-protected.
Step 2: Measure Your Space
- Space Dimensions: Accurately measure the area around your hot tub. This will determine the size of the mat you need.
- Shape and Layout: Consider the shape of your hot tub area. Some mats offer more flexibility in terms of customization and fitting odd shapes.
Step 3: Research and Compare Options
- Read Reviews: Look at customer reviews for insights on performance and durability.
- Compare Features: Align the features of different mats with your specific needs. Use the list from the previous section as a checklist.
Step 4: Consider Aesthetics
- Match Your Style: Choose a mat that complements your hot tub and outdoor decor. Aesthetic appeal is an important aspect of your overall enjoyment.
- Color and Design: Think about the color scheme and design pattern that best suits your space.
Step 5: Check for Quality and Safety Standards
- Quality Certifications: Look for mats that meet safety and quality standards. Certifications can be a good indicator of a product’s reliability.
- Non-Toxic Materials: Ensure the mat is made from materials that are safe and non-toxic, especially if children will be using the hot tub.
Step 6: Evaluate Maintenance Requirements
- Cleaning and Upkeep: Consider how easy the mat is to clean and maintain. Opt for mats that are resistant to mold and mildew and can be easily washed.
Step 7: Make Your Purchase
- Budget Considerations: Balance cost with quality. It’s worth investing in a mat that will last and provide the necessary features.
- Warranty and Return Policy: Check the warranty and return policy for peace of mind in case the product doesn’t meet your expectations.
Maintenance and Care Tips
Follow the tips below to maintain your hot tub matting:
- Regular Cleaning: Clean your mat with mild detergent and warm water; machine wash if possible.
- Air-Dry Completely: After washing, hang the mat in a well-ventilated area to dry fully.
- Inspect Regularly: Check for signs of wear like loose suction cups or thinning areas.
- Use Mild Cleaners: Avoid harsh chemicals; opt for natural cleaners like vinegar or baking soda.
- Proper Storage: Store the mat flat or gently rolled in a cool, dry place when not in use.
- Avoid Sun Damage: Keep the mat out of direct sunlight to prevent fading and weakening.
- Sanitize Occasionally: Use a mild disinfectant periodically, especially in shared or frequently used hot tubs.
Choosing the right matting for your hot tub is more than just a practical decision; it’s about enhancing safety, comfort, and the overall aesthetic of your relaxation space. Throughout this guide, we’ve explored the top 5 matting options, and key features to look for, provided a comprehensive buying guide, and shared maintenance tips.
Remember, the best hot tub mat for you depends on your specific needs, whether it’s prioritizing safety with a non-slip surface, seeking comfort with cushioned materials, or finding a mat that complements the style of your outdoor space. Regular maintenance and adherence to care instructions will ensure your chosen mat serves you well for years to come.
I am Donald M. Beyer and I am backyard enthusiasts. I am a homeowner who has been doing DIY projects in and out of my house for many years. From simple backyard lunches to making an old-school pizza oven in my own backyard, I have a lot of experience in turning my backyard into my and my family’s personal playground.